PRICING QUESTIONS: Our prices are online or contact us at (800) 295-0171 or sales@gottagrooverecords.com for a quote.

WHAT VINYL FORMATS DO YOU PRESS?  We make 7″ and 12″ vinyl records, in color and black.  Our 7″ averages 40+ grams (just in case 7″ weight is your thing).  Our standard 12″ weight averages between 130 and 155 grams (depending upon the sound characteristics of the record), so it is heavy and aesthetically pleasing.  We also press 180 gram LPs.  Final weight is determined by the program material itself, as well as the vinyl color(s). (Yes, the music can definitely affect weight, because temperatures/cycle times can vary to produce the best sound quality).

WHAT IS GOTTA GROOVE’S TURN TIME? We keep our turn time updated and published online for your convenience.

WHAT KIND OF AUDIO DO I NEED TO PROVIDE?  For the very best sound result, we highly recommend that you have your audio mastered specifically for vinyl by an engineer who is familiar with the vinyl format.

If you are providing your audio master in a digital form, we prefer 24 bit wav files.  If you are providing tapes, please contact us at (800) 295-0171 to discuss requirements.

An “old school” rule of thumb is to put your loudest, heaviest tracks at the beginning of each side, and put your less dynamic and less high-frequency driven tracks at the end of each side  (so, unlike with CDs, the order of your songs on the record can be important).

You can also find more detailed information here.

CAN YOU MAKE A ONE-OFF (SINGLE COPY) RECORD FOR ME?  No, this is just not physically possible.  The parts needed to be made just to start pressing any record order add up to most of the price for 100 copies — to run less than 100 would just not be cost feasible for you.  Also, when running test pressings, several copies are made and scrapped prior to having acceptable records to ship.  The process is just not built for one-offs.  If you really need a single copy (and you own the copyrights in the material you would like produced), a dub plate or reference lacquer are options – but these are not pressed records, and do wear out over time.

WHAT DO I NEED TO KNOW ABOUT COVER SONGS AND SAMPLES?  You need to clear all licenses before we can manufacture your record.  For cover songs, this is fairly easy – you can typically obtain a compulsory mechanical license from either Harry Fox or Limelight/Song Clearance.  Please note that if you are manufacturing a package which contains a record and a digital download, you must obtain TWO mechanical licenses per package – one for the vinyl and one for the digital download.  For samples (whether from music, television shows, motion pictures, or other sources) you must clear the samples (i.e., provide us with documentation that you have licensed the samples from their copyright holder(s)) before we can manufacture your record.  Please note that this is separate and different from a mechanical license — and it is not compulsory (i.e., unlike mechanical licenses which must be granted if the subject composition has ever been fixed in a tangible medium), copyright holders of sampled recordings are not compelled by law to grant you a license.  Therefore, these are typically much more difficult to obtain.  But, Gotta Groove must obey U.S. Copyright law and cannot manufacture records embodying uncleared samples and/or unlicensed cover songs / derivative works.  Please contact us prior to placing your order so that you understand your responsibilities under U.S. Copyright law.  More information and resources on these subjects are available at the bottom of this page.

WHAT KIND OF ART FILES DO I NEED TO PROVIDE?  Check out the art guide we have available here — it is written for those who are not professional designers.  If you need more detailed information, please call us at (800) 295-0171.

WHAT DO I NEED TO PAY UP FRONT? A deposit of 50% of your order’s total (before freight) is required in order to begin processing your order.   The remaining 50% is due upon your approval of test pressings and/or art proofs.  Freight is due before shipment.  We accept cash, check, Paypal and credit cards (MC, VISA, Discover, AMEX).


WHAT OTHER PRODUCTS DO YOU SELL? Gotta Groove Records is a “one stop shop”.  You can get your custom printed jackets & sleeves produced and assembled by us when you get your records pressed.  We also handle record labels, insert printing, digital download code hosting and insert printing, poster & flat printing, custom packaging solutions, and pretty much anything that goes along with vinyl records!



HOW DO I PLACE AN ORDER?  You can obtain order forms, pricing, templates, and upload audio and art files via the links to the left of this page.  You can order online here.

CAN I TALK TO A REAL PERSON REGARDING MY ORDER? YES!  Please feel free to call or email us at (800) 295-0171 or sales@gottagrooverecords.com if you have any questions about ordering, technical questions, or just to converse in general.  (We ultimately will need you to submit our online order form, but we are happy to assist you with any information you need in the order process).

ARE YOU HIRING?  Click here. 

Have other questions? Just send an email and we’ll be happy to answer your question. 


U.S. Copyright Office Circular on Compulsory Licenses

Harry Fox Agency – For obtaining mechanical licenses for compositions written by others (i.e. “Cover Songs”)

Easy Song Licensing – For obtaining mechanical licenses for compositions written by others (i.e. “Cover Songs”)

ASCAP – For contacting and obtaining information on copyright owners of compositions.

BMI – For contacting and obtaining information on copyright owners of compositions.

SESAC – For contacting and obtaining information on copyright owners of compositions.

Note:  A mechanical license is NOT a master use license.  We cannot press records with uncleared samples, unlicensed cover songs, or unlicensed master recordings.  So, we strongly urge you to take care of these matters prior to placing your order with use.  Should a legal issue be discovered after work as already begun on your order, you will be responsible for any costs incurred even if you are unable to move forward with finished product.  

Without getting to deep into copyright law, very basically speaking, every “song” is comprised of two copyrights – the copyright in the actual written composition of the song (the words and melody), and the copyright of the master recorded version of the composition.  Particularly with regard to records where there are “cover songs”, samples, or use of previously released master recordings, we require documentation that both of these copyrights have been granted or licensed with specific regard to the vinyl project you are working on.  If your package includes download codes, separate rights are required for those from the physical vinyl release.  

If you have any questions about these matters, please feel free to contact us prior to placing your order, or discuss with a qualified attorney.  We refer folks to the attorney Leon Bass, Esq. for this type of work – you can contact him at (614) 431-2277.